Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Friday, December 21, 2012

End Of Days: As The World Turns

 "What people forget," writes Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, "is that we're not without control over the decline of our society.  Nothing ever gets as bad as the apocalyptic people say it will.  There is a restoring force that brings it back to the middle.  And nothing ever gets as utopian as people suggest.  People are not that visionary.  We're somewhere in the middle, disappointingly so."

According to the Mayan calendar, the world was supposed to end today.  Of course, we thought that was going to happen at the new millennium back in 2000.  That didn't happen either, but I remember people being more panicked about it.  Not because the "world was going to end" but because of the supposed catastrophic effects of Y2K.  God, that was scary, wasn't it?

Humans have been predicting the end of the world since well before scientists came up with the big bang theory.  But today?  I woke up this morning.  You woke up this morning.  We didn't vaporize into oblivion.  And when I looked outside my window, the world was indeed still here.  In fact, the sun was shining.  If the world was going to end today, it was going to end in fire.

Enjoy the extra few billions years, the sun has left for us...

If you want to add a thematic element to movie night tonight, I recommend watching Armageddon or Mel Gibson's 2006 Mayan epic, Apocalypto. You could also hunker down and read, The World Without Us.
http://www.worldwithoutus.com/index2.html

And here I leave you with one of my favorite Robert Frost poems:

FIRE AND ICE
Some say the world will end in fire, 
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, 
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
is also great
And would suffice.

~Robert Frost

Copyright 2012 by Kliedle

Quotes Reference:
Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of Hayden Planetarium, as quoted in the book, "The Movie That Changed My Life" by Robert Hofler
Robert Frost, "Fire And Ice," originally published in 1920 by Harper's Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment