Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Finding My Karma In Hidden L.A.


I felt like driving and going someplace I'd never been. With gas being nearly $4.00/gallon, I decided that instead of escaping L.A. perhaps I should find some hidden peace within this City Of Angels. Surely, there's more than just urban sprawl and strip malls if I take the time and energy to look.

Nourished by a steady soundtrack of Feist and The Shins, I drove myself out to Calabasas. It's not too far, but it's farther than I would elect to drive on any ordinary day. This, however, was not any ordinary day-- it was a day I set aside to enjoy nature and peaceful solitude. It was also a day for some spiritual enrichment.

If you blink, you'll miss it. Nestled in the Santa Monica Mountains off Las Virgenes Canyon Road, you'll find the Malibu Hindu Temple. Yes, the architectural wonder above is really in Los Angeles--just miles from the 101 freeway--yet in an instant, I was transported.

The Malibu Hindu Temple was built in 1981 for the Hindu god Venkateswara. It's open from 9a.m.-12 p.m. and 5:00-8 p.m. (M-F) On weekends, the hours are a little more flexible: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. There are meditation rooms, places to picnic, and good karma all around.


Photos by KLiedle

Malibu Hindu Temple
1600 Las Virgenes Canyon Road
Calabasas CA 91302
(818) 880-5552

No comments:

Post a Comment