Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bonfire Of The Vanities


Bonfire Of The Vanities
(A fire swallows up a home near Lake Arrowhead in CA)
*Photo credit: Robert Durell/Los Angeles Times*

I don’t live within immediate eyesight of any of the current fires in LA and San Diego Counties, but I can definitely sense their effects. As I drove to work this morning, I couldn’t help but notice a huge, dark cloud over my head (which really isn’t out-of-the-ordinary for me, mind you), but this dark cloud had a brownish-orange swirl to it that made it stand out from the smoggy, hazy commute that I’m used to.

The sun looked as if it had just been rolled down a hill of mud, and the ordinary pillow clouds that should have been dotting a blue sky instead looked like a really creative chef had added the orangey goo of melted candy corn and a touch of cocoa to their usual marshallowy goodness. Eewww…

****
Mmmm…. get a whiff of that fresh air… like your uncle charring a piece of human hair on the family grill. Those yummy fresh embers have provided quite an olfactory sensation today.

BUT, comedy and my fun with creative description aside… my heart goes out to those who have, and our losing their homes, as I write.

Fire
is the worst thing possible because it erases everything in its path, and there’s very little you can do to stop it.

With the huge population here, maybe we could all just take a big, heaping breath and blow those "candles" out, all the fires would go away.

If only it were that easy...

Just ask Greece…

No comments:

Post a Comment