Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Off To Kiwi-Land


I am leaving for New Zealand TODAY! I'm in dire need of an adventure and New Zealand seemed to be the most appropriate place ( and farthest away! ) While I'm away, I am not sure how often I will be able to post. Although, I'll be a world away, I'll be back quicker than I'd like to be, I'm sure. Be sure to visit my travelogue at travelpod
( See the travel pod link on the left of this page.)

I'll have the chance to explore South Pacific Picture's Studios in Auckland, home of the largest film production facilities in New Zealand and explore this amazing, magnificent country.

From a location standpoint, please take a look at some of the tremendous films that have come out of New Zealand ( besides the obvious Lord of the Rings Trilogy.)

My recommends would include:

The World's Fastest Indian (2005)
Based on a true-story, this film follows 67-year-old grandfather and New Zealander Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins) as he flies across Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats on his customized Indian Scout motorcycle.

Whale Rider (2003)
A Maori tribe must contend with the distinctly non-traditional concept of having a female leader.

The Piano (1994)
Holly Hunter (who won a Best Actress Oscar) plays a strong-willed 19th century Scottish expatriate who arrives in New Zealand with her daughter (Anna Paquin) and her beloved piano. Although betrothed to a farmer (Sam Neill), Hunter falls for former Maori tribesman Harvey Keitel.

Once Were Warriors ( 1994)
A disturbing drama about a woman who fights tooth and nail to keep her family intact with her marriage a shambles and her psyche bruised and betrayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment