Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Pitching Scripts & Hummingbird Antics

Let me just say that trying to sell a screenplay is exhausting. In fact, I would say it’s more tiring than actually writing the script. Not that this is really news. Pitching a script is sort of like pavement-pounding over hot coals barefoot...in the middle of the Sahara desert with no sunscreen. I guess that must mean that I’m somewhat masochistic in wanting to be a writer, and even more so, for wanting to be a screenwriter. Nevertheless, I march on with whatever tattered optimism I have left.

Between pitching and writing, I would rather be writing -- any day. The ideas are always floating in my mind and I let them incubate as long as is necessary. However, at some point, I have to sit down to type the ideas out. This poses a problem. It's not the writing that is particularly difficult, it’s the sitting. See, I’m not a sitter. I’m usually bustling with activity like a hummingbird.

So, if I’m planning to write and I actually sit down in front of the computer without hopping up 50 times, a la Nicolas Cages' character in Adaptation, I consider that writing session to already be a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment