Google

This is an ever-evolving story of a girl writer and her two greatest loves, the movies and travel. As she hikes the trenches of Hollywood, you're brought along for the ride.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Land Of The Fro-Yo Sweet Treat

Last week, while working a couple of prep days on a feature film in downtown L.A., a bunch of crew members came back from break raving about a new yogurt shop down the street. It was as though they'd found the Emerald City right there in Little Tokyo. Now, I'm an ice cream/ fro-yo freak so it doesn't take much to get me to in line for the newest yogurt shop. Yet, I'd never seen grown men so excited about...yogurt. I vowed to try it the very next day.

The place where frozen yogurt dreams are made of is Yogurtland. Unlike other yogurt shops, it's completely (and I mean completely) self-serve. You dish out your choice of creamy concoction from the 16 different flavors ranging from the plain (tart vanilla) to the exotic (taro root.) I chose no less than four different flavors, then hop-scotched over to the toppings bar. They have an overwhelming 33 different toppings! I finally picked mochi pieces (an adventurous choice to go with the taro root pick), granola, fresh fruit, and a dash of walnuts.
The whole cool treat cost me a whopping $3.84-- I couldn't believe it. You see, Yogurtland charges you 30 cents per ounce so it doesn't matter if you dot or douse your ice cream treat with a little of every single choice of yogurt flavors and toppings, you'll still pay 30 cents an ounce. With my frozen treat in hand, I left the Emerald City of Yogurt and happily walked back to the Fantasy-land of moviemaking. No regrets: The sugar-high kept me as hyper as a kid right up until we finally wrapped for the day-- around 3 a.m.
Yogurtland-- Check it out, but bring the ruby slippers because otherwise you may never want to go back home!

I'd also recommend my long-standing Valley favorites:

Humphrey Yogart ( 4574 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks, CA 91403)

Studio City Yogurt ( 12050 Ventura Blvd Ste C105 Studio City, CA 91604-- 818-508-7811.)

*Newest Valley Addition: Menchie's Yogurt (4849 Laurel Canyon Blvd, Valley Village 91607-- 818-985-9150. I haven't tried it, but I think I'd like it-- They're self-serve like Yogurtland.

I'm one of the few in L.A. who has yet to try Pink Berry. The big questions: Is it really yogurt? Is it as sour-tasting as they say? From what I hear, I'm not missing anything.
****
Photo credits: flickr/pachucha sunrise, flickr/food librarian
Copyright © 2008 KLiedle


   

No comments:

Post a Comment